Aloo Gajar Matar ki Sabzi is a dish from the state of Punjab in northern India. It is served with parathas or rotis, as well as a side dish with a rice-dal combination.
Aloo Gajar Matar ki Sabzi can be both a dry and wet preparation. In this recipe, I will be making the wet preparation.
Traditionally, Aloo Gajar Matar ki Sabzi is made using ghee (clarified butter) as a base. In order to transform my Aloo Gajar Matar ki Sabzi into a vegan preparation, I am using olive oil instead.
- Olive Oil
- 5 large Carrots (Gajar)
- 4 small Potatoes (Aloo)
- 1/2 tumbler of frozen Matar (Peas). You can also use fresh peas.
- 2 large ripe Tomatoes (diced)
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1/2 medium-sized Onion
- 5 Cloves
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp of Amchur (dried mango) powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
• Rinse and peel the carrots and potatoes. Cut them into small chunks.
• Dice the tomatoes.
• Chop the onions and green chilies.
• Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a cooking pot and heat on medium flame.
• Add cumin seeds, cloves, onions and green chilies. Saute till onions become translucent and turn light brown.
• Add the ginger paste and cook for 1 minute.
• Add the chopped carrots and potatoes (and fresh peas if you are using them). Cover the pot with a lid. Stir from time to time.
• After 5 minutes, add some water into the pot and cover with lid. Allow to cook, and stir from time to time. Check to see if the potatoes and carrots have become soft. If the water has been completely absorbed and the vegetables aren’t cooked, add some more water.
• When the potatoes and carrots become soft, the constituency should be similar to mashed potatoes. Now add the frozen peas, and cover the pot with a lid.
• When the peas become soft, add the diced tomatoes.
• Add the powders: amchur, coriander, and turmeric.
• Stir everything together and cover the pot with a lid.
• When the tomatoes become soft and pulpy, add salt to taste. Cook for 2 minutes and switch off flame.
• Your Aloo Gajar Matar ki Sabzi is now ready to be served! Bon Appetit!