Aloha! With weather that is constantly in the mid 20s and 30s, miles of beautiful beaches, hospitable people and cultural diversity, the islands of Hawaii offer a tropical respite for those wishing to escape the chill of late fall and winter.
Here is the summary of my week long trip in Hawaii. For further information on popular attractions, natural beauty, hiking trails, dining options, accommodations and others, click on the individual links.
A big shout out to The Kimos’ Ohanas. Beautiful gardens, friendly owners and cats, amazing breakfast. All in all, a great stay. Highly recommended when visiting Big Island, Hawaii.
1. Hilo Coffee Mill
2. Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory
3. Star Gazing in Mauna Kea
4. Punalu’u Black Sand Beach
5. Puuhonoa o Honaunau National Historical Park
6. Scenic Hamakua Coast Drive: Akaka Falls & Waipio Valley Lookout
7. Volcanoes National Park
8. Town of Waimea
9. Kamana Kitchen
10. Alii Drive
Loved the breakfast at Maui Seaside Hotel. Each guest gets a voucher with a choice of three breakfasts. Their POG juice (passion fruit, orange, guava) is plain heaven. POG juice is definitely one of the best memories I have of Hawaii.
I also flew on Hawaii’s island hopper Mokulele Airlines for the very first time. A brief 40 minutes but don’t forget your Dramamine; the ascent through the clouds can be rough for the motion sick!
The Kauai Inn Lihue is historic and quaint and I loved the way the rooms were set up. But if you are looking for a lavish breakfast spread, you will be disappointed.
1. Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park
2. Wailua Falls
3. Spouting Horn
4. Opaeka’a Falls
5. Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge of Hawaii
6. Kealia Beach
7. Town of Hanapepe
8. Kalalau Trail and the Na Pali Coast
10. Caves near Haena State Park
Stayed two nights at the Vive Hotel Waikiki, which may be on the pricier side, but it is worth it. The hotel literally lies a block away from Waikiki Beach, one of Hawaii’s most popular beaches.
1. Diamond Head Summit Trail
2. Historic Trail of Waikiki and Honolulu
3. Wave Surfing at Waikiki Beach
4. Shaved Ice at Matsumoto
5. Pearl Harbor Museum
6. Nu’uanu Pali Lookout
7. Waimea Bay
8. Waimea Valley
9. Polynesian Cultural Center
10. Noi Thai Cuisine