For all you folks with Goliath-sized gastronomic appetites, welcome to the Indian Thali! The Indian Thali is the epitomy of good food crossbred with visual appeal and generous portions. No Indian food trip is complete without diving into the culinary ingenuity of this traditional food platter.
The below pictured Indian thali stems from the southern part of the subcontinent. If you are looking to find this gorgeous spread, head at lunchtime to Sangeetha Vegetarian Restaurant.
(Clockwise from left corner)
- Buttermilk: Thin yoghurt drink prepared with curry leaves, fresh coriander leaves and chopped green chilies.
- Curd Rice: White Basmati rice is mixed with freshly prepared yoghurt.
- Tomato Rice: White Basmati rice is prepared with spiced tomatoes, curry leaves, and fried cashewnuts.
- Beetroot Curry: Chopped beetroot chunks with chickpeas and grated carrots.
- Vegetable Korma: Green peas, cauliflower florets and potatoes cooked in a spicy cream-based tomato gravy.
- Javvarisi Payasam: Dessert made of tapioca pearls, milk, sugar, ghee and saffron.
- Bhajji: Vegetable Fritter
- Fried puris: Deep-fried bread
- Fried Appalam or Poppadums: Similar to a giant crisp; made of lentils and rice flour.
- Mixed Vegetable Pickle: Carrots, peas, mango in a freshly prepared spicy gravy.