This spicy vegetable curry is one of my kitchen creations. Quarantine means that I get to spend more time cooking fresh and nutrient-packed meals. It especially gives me more time to experiment with new ingredients and exotic flavors. I put together this piping hot, spicy vegetable curry and Amma has given me the thumbs up!
This spicy vegetable curry can be served with flatbreads like parathas and rotis, as well as with white rice. If it’s a little hot for you, have a cup of curd or plain yoghurt, or a glass of fresh lassi (Indian buttermilk) ready on the side!
Note 1: You can also use chopped onions while preparing this spicy vegetable curry. Since I have used the sattvic method of cooking, this spicy vegetable curry recipe does not include onions.
Note 2: This recipe of spicy vegetable curry is vegetarian. If you want to make this recipe vegan, simply substitute ghee with olive oil.
Ghee (clarified butter). You can find ghee in any South Asian store. While you can use any brand of ghee, the one I use is from the company Q.B.B.
1 medium-sized Cauliflower
2 large Red Bell Peppers
4 small to medium-sized Carrots
6 medium-sized Tomatoes
4 Red Chilies
1 tbsp Ginger paste
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp of Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Garam Masala powder
• Julienne the carrots.
• Chop the cauliflower into small and medium-sized florets.
• Julienne the red bell peppers.
• Dice the tomatoes.
• Add 3 tablespoons of ghee in a flat pan and heat on medium flame.
• Add cumin seeds and red chilies. Cook for 1 minute.
• Add the ginger paste and cook for 1 minute.
• Add the carrots and cauliflower florets. Stir from time to time until they start to fry and brown.
• Add the red bell peppers. Stir from time to time until the pepper starts to darken, and all the vegetables become soft.
• Add the tomatoes and cook until they become soft.
• Add the turmeric and garam masala powders.
• Stir everything together and let it cook for 5 minutes.
• Add salt to taste. Cook for 2 minutes and switch off flame.
• Your Spicy Vegetable Curry is now ready to be served! Bon Appetit!