Paneer Stir Fry Vegetable Gravy is inspired by the flavours of North India and is best enjoyed with rotis, naan or white basmati rice. You can either eat it on the side in the traditional way, or serve it as a wrap in a tortilla or paratha bread (kathi roll).
Recently, Amma bought me some amazing produce from Fit Fresh, a UAE-based business that is known for its cold-pressed juices, smoothies and freshly made salads. I always try to support our local businesses and farmers in the UAE. The UAE imports 80% of its food, so buying local produce goes a long way in increasing the food security of the nation.
I decided to use the veggies from Fit Fresh to create this stir fry vegetable gravy. And while at it, why not throw in some paneer? Amma has been craving paneer for a while! Paneer is a popular cheese in the Indian subcontinent and is made from curdling milk with lemon juice. I bought frozen paneer from the store, but you can also use fresh paneer.
Note 1: I preferred to make this recipe gravy based. But the addition of tomatoes is completely optional. You can skip the tomatoes and add the paneer directly to the stir fried vegetables.
Note 2: You can replace paneer with firm tofu to make this recipe vegan.
- 3-4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 175g Fit Fresh pack of Shredded White Cabbage
- 1/2 of 150g Fit Fresh pack of Carrot Strips
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 large Green Chilies
- 1 tbsp Grated Ginger
- 1 medium Green Bell Pepper
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper
- 200g of Amul Malai Paneer
- 3 medium Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp Methi powder
• If you are using frozen paneer, allow it to thaw for 10-15 minutes.
• Slice the red and green bell peppers into strips.
• Dice the tomatoes.
• Slice the green chilies in julienne cut.
• Grate the ginger.
• Add the olive oil to a cooking pot and heat on low flame.
• Add the cumin seeds, green chilies and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes.
• Add the cabbage and carrot strips. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Make sure they don’t lose their crunch.
• Add the bell pepper strips and turn the heat to medium flame. Cook until the strips can be cut apart.
• Add the tomatoes. Cook until soft. You can add water to adjust the consistency. But if you prefer the gravy to be more like a thick paste, you can leave it as it is.
• Add the turmeric, coriander, garam masala, red chili and methi powders. Cook for 5 minutes.
• Add the paneer. The number of paneer cubes is per your discretion. I added the whole packet. Cook for 5 minutes.
• Add salt to taste.
• Cook for 5-10 minutes before turning off the stove.
• Your Paneer Stir Fry Vegetable Gravy is now ready to be served! Bon Appetit!